Welcome to the first FINISH THIS… link-up hosted by LISA (The Coastal Chicster), JEN (The Arizona Russums), BECKY (The Java Mama) and I. We’re so excited you’re here and look forward to reading your responses. Invite your blog friends to participate, share, Pin, Tweet, etc to spread the word. Let’s get started!
1. I first felt like a grown-up… when I was 19 years old, a college athlete at Lamar University in Beaumont, and paid $347 for a traffic ticket I believe (still to this day) was not appropriate. I was on my way back to Beaumont from visiting Husband when I passed a slow-moving truck outside the city of Zavala. Moments later, blue and red lights flashed behind me. According to the officer, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, I was traveling 68mph in a 55mph zone. He also said my left front tire crossed the double yellow line. He ticketed me for speed and passing in a no-pass zone. FYI: The 55mph zone ended at the double yellow lines and the 70mph zone began. I paid the fine because I can’t fix stupid or argue with idiots. It would also have been a bad decision to skip class or golf practice. I paid the fine because spending time and money on a court appearance, where it would have been my word against the officer’s, would have been useless. Lesson learned …. albeit, an expensive one. Thank goodness I had money saved in my checking account because I was too proud (ashamed) to call Mom or Dad in this situation. Heck, it was MONTHS before I told anyone about my transgression.
Other grown-up moments: getting my driver’s license, going to the movie theater by myself, graduating from college, getting married, buying a house, and becoming Kamden’s mom.
2. I am one-of-a-kind because… I’m full of juxtapositions. I’ve worn camo with pearls. I love Kentucky basketball, but I’m an avid cheerleader for Alabama football. Dirty diapers don’t bother me, but I pass out at the sight of needles. I’m active on social media and blogging, but my ‘flip’ cell phone is circa 1999 and doesn’t send or receive text messages. I love living in the modern era, but I’m very old-fashioned too.
3. Spanx is… not a miracle product. I think the undergarment is fine if you’re small(er) to begin with, but it’s not going to make a plus-size woman skinny. I may or may not have just rained on lots of women’s parades with that last statement. #sorrynotsorry
4. My favorite family tradition… playing cards (especially Progressive Rummy) with my mom, aunts, and cousins. Competition is intense and bragging rights are taken very seriously! I’m taking suggestions for “traditions” to start as a family of three, mommy/son, and father/son too. What are your favorite traditions?
5. The last thing I do before bed is… check on Kamden. He currently sleeps in a portable crib beside our bed. I listen to him breathe and watch his chest rise and fall. It’s the sweetest, most precious and nerve-wrecking time of my life. A parent’s worst nightmare is realizing their child is not breathing.
6. Happiness is… breastfeeding your little one and knowing you’re responsible for his fat rolls.
Don’t forget to link up!
CHALLENGE: Visit at least three other blogs and comment on their “Finish This…” post.
Prompts for WEEK TWO are:
1. If I could make anything grow on trees, it would be…
2. I can’t stop smiling…
3. I get back to nature by…
4. I dread washing…