Weight on July 24, 2015 // 258
Last week’s wins:
- After a wonderful visit with a childhood friend, I have decided to complete a 5K before the end of the year. Now, I am no Olympic runner (have the boobs to prove it) but I made significant improvements this week by walking and jogging on the treadmill at the gym. More on this in a minute!
- I made it to the gym four days this week, wow!
- I did not eat the healthiest of foods this week, or watch my portions very closely, but I managed to eat big meals during the day instead of in the evening before bed. That’s a miniature success, right?
Last week’s struggles:
- Food and portion control has been crazy. I’ve eaten at Chick-Fil-A twice, dinner at a local café, and lunch with another friend at a steakhouse.
- My. Hip. Hurts. So. Bad. Walking and jogging excessively this week has really taken a toll on my right hip. I rarely, if ever, put a lot of weight on it and this has been going on for a while – I usually ignore it and go about my business but it’s been more uncomfortable than ever. I don’t know exactly what is going on but I need to see a specialist sooner rather than later. I don’t know if all the years of walking unthinkable miles on the golf course are catching up with me. Or if I have the beginning of arthritis. Or if I am out of alignment. Or if my right leg is actually shorter than my left and I’ve adjusted my stance and gait to compensate the difference. I don’t know if I need to see a chiropractor or orthopedic specialist. I’m also hesitant to see a doctor right now because I’m afraid they’re only going to preach at me to lose weight in order to relieve pressure on my joints. Well, doctor, I’m trying. Believe me. RANT OVER!
- No change on the scale this week, which is surprising considering the meals I’ve eaten. Ugh, gotta do better with food choices.
Goals for the week ahead:
- Exercise five days and rest Wednesday and Sunday
- Strength train at least twice
- Increase water consumption
- Go to bed by 11:30 every night
5K Practice Results:
- If you’re not familiar with 5K races, they are equivalent to 3.1 miles. There are lots of 5K events in the Dallas/Fort Worth area coming up, so choosing one will not be a problem, but I definitely have to prepare for it. I’m not calling it “training” because that’s a big, serious word. I’m starting on the treadmill because 1) it’s too hot outside and 2) I can adjust the incline and speed of the machine very easily. I found several schedules and guides for 5K training (eek, there’s that word) and I’ve implemented a little from each of them. I begin with a 5-10 minute warm-up (brisk walk) before alternating between jogging a minute and walking a minute, then ending with a cool down (at least 5-10 minutes of walking). If I feel up to it, I might jog for 70 or 90 seconds. My first attempt at this 5K Prep was Monday and I already see/feel improvements based on the time it took me to walk/jog 3.1 miles:
- Monday, July 20 – 55:37
- Tuesday, July 21 – 52:05
- Thursday, July 23 – 50:25
Most folks can run a 5K in 30 minutes or less, but my goal is 40 minutes. I don’t think it’s ridiculous or impossible, but it’s a goal nonetheless.
Who wants to walk/jog/run this 5K with me?